Several weeks ago, one of our guides from Chiapas was in Merida for a travel meeting. He called me from there and went onn and on about the place and urged me to consider Merida as a new location for our Authentic Mexico Travel trips.
So I spent a week there–just back–and we are ready to do a pilot trip there is a few weeks. Looks like the date will be February 6-13.
Genera plan is to spend 3-4 days in the Gran Plaza area and 3-4 days in the Paseo Mantejo neighborhood. There will be plenty of time for journeys into the area from either location.
Here are some of the options:
- Food–great eateries for local food, seafood, Italian, Lebanese and other delicious options
- Cooking classes
- Markets big and small
- History and architecture
- Ruins–several major sites within 1.5 hours
- Cenotes and the flamingo areas
- A day at the beach 30 minutes to the north
- Haciendas both in town and dotted around the area closeby
Merida seems to be one of the richest, safest, cleanest and most welcoming places and I look forward to introducing many of our AMT fans to this place and it’s people.